Friday, May 4, 2012

Moving? Bulgaria?

This week has been filled with great things. On Tuesday, we celebrated the 1st of May, or the Macedonian version of Labor Day (a whole post with pictures on this to come).

Yesterday one of my friends here found me a couple places to look so that I can move from my current house. I was able to check one of them out. I would classify it as a semi-homestay. I would have one big room that has a mini kitchen, table and chairs, sitting area, several couches (the standard Macedonian bed), and a balcony. I would have a shared bathroom and the landlord's bedroom is right across the hall. I like living on my own and I want to continue doing that, however, my current place is too expensive, so I am willing to make some concessions. One of the best parts is that it is literally 2 minutes from school instead of 15. I would still have a wood-burning stove for heating, but because the landlady is retired, she said if I wanted she would build me a fire each day so it would be warm all the time. She also offered to cook for me and give me fruits and vegetables from her garden. I still have one other place I am going to look at, but it looks like I will be moving next month! I am very excited about this.

Other big news came yesterday in that our Country Director approved for another volunteer and I to take Business Leave (meaning no vacation days need to be used) to go to Sofia, Bulgaria this next weekend for their National Spelling Bee. We will have a chance to observe their structure and talk with the PCVs who run their event about how they do it so we can get new ideas from them and work on improving our Bee. We will be there 4 days. In addition, I might also get to see one of my best friends from high school who is a PCV there. She will be finishing her service and leaving in July, so we have been trying to figure out a time when we can get together.

This weekend I am headed to Stip for the Macedonian Model United Nations Conference. The weather is now gorgeous, bordering on hot some days. Life is busy here, but that is the way it should be!

Finally, a few kid quotes:

Teacher: This country is where men wear skirts and play the bagpipes. The capitol is Glasgow.
Student 1: Cowboys?
Teacher: No. This place is in Europe.
Student 2: Texas?
(Apparently Scotland is now located in Texas and is home to the cowboys)

Student: I am going to mate with Superman tonight.
Teacher: Ah.... I think you mean "meet", not "mate".

Assignment: Guess what the people in these sentences are doing. Use "going to".
Sentence: Tom's making a shopping list.
Student's guess: He is going to give the list to his small brother and make him go to the store.
(Other students had answers like, He is going to go to the store. This would be my best English student who right after started talking about demonstrative pronouns. *I just had to Google what these were*)

1 comment:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete