Saturday, April 28, 2012

Friday, April 26- WINS

Tonight I was walking in town with a few of my neighbour kids. It was starting to get dark and near one of the apartment buildings there was a group of 4th and 5th grade boys hanging out. When we got close, they started talking to me (the usual, "Hello" "How are you?"). I answered and we kept walking. After we got a little ways away, they started chucking rocks at me (Win #1) and yelling, "Sara, do you like spaghetti?" (Win #2 and #3).

You might be wondering how these things can be wins. Well.... Win #1, during training we read case studies and it seemed PCVs getting rocks thrown at them was a common occurrence. I take this to be my real initiation as a PCV (and just so you know, I wasn't hit by any of the rocks. The kids really didn't have good aim.). Win #2, the kids were speaking English and Win #3, they pronounced in spaghetti, not shpaghetti like most do. We worked on that in class one day.

I actually was laughing during all of this and had to text a few other PCVs about it because it just was too funny. I mean really, yelling about spaghetti while throwing rocks. One of them responded asking how I retaliated. I told him I didn't think it would be appropriate to throw rocks back, but I felt very comfortable throwing words back- words like ravioli and tortellini. Take that kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment