Thursday, October 27, 2011

Site Placements

In the past two days, all of the MAK-16s have learned where we will be living for the next two years. This was much awaited news for all of us, despite the fact that we don't have a vast knowledge of the cities, towns, and villages here in Macedonia. We were given very little information about or new locations, however, we will be visiting them this next week. It will be so great to see the school, meet my counterpart, and hopefully even see my new apartment/house.

My new home is Македонска Каменица, or Каменица for short. Каменица is in northeastern Macedonia, just 30 minutes from the Bulgarian border (My friend Megan from high school is a PCV in Bulgaria and I discovered I will be about 3 hours by bus from her). Because of the proximity to Bulgaria, it was recommended that I also learn Bulgarian, so that will be interesting. It is a town of just over 8,000 people (which is more than twice the size of my hometown in Minnesota). I will be working at the local primary school with 6-15 year olds and a young female English teacher. The school really wants someone to help co-teach, but also to assist with integrating technology into the classroom and creating extra-curricular activities. Каменица is a mining town up in the mountains. I was told there is a fountain there. My host mother's first cousin works in the school (or she thinks he does) and I met a guy here in Lozovo last night that is related to the Mayor of Каменица. That's pretty much all I know right now. I have found a little more information on the internet from on the Municipality's site. While I am the only volunteer in my town, I have quite a few volunteers within 30-40 minutes from me with direct bus lines going between us.

The Lozovo group is rather spread out in the country. In the Northeast with me will be Anna and Morgan. Amy is in Southeast Macedonia on the Greek boarder. In the Southwest are Shannon and Claire. Julie and Kenzie are in West Central Macedonia. And finally in the Northwest is Andres bordering Kosovo. Good thing it is only 8 hours by bus from one end of the country to the other (aka the distance between Shannon and I since I think we are as far away from each other as possible).

No comments:

Post a Comment